Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I fought the payroll system, and I won

No six-guns were involved.

So I came into work late because I had gone to bed late finishing up something for work.  Fortunately, work is hourly and totally ok with this nonsense.  Anyway, today is "did you get your hours in yesterday dammit" day, and I was uncharacteristically prepared, which of course meant that the system had some sort of issue with me.

The gist of it (gist is not slang but in fact a real word from old french or some shit) is that I didn't work on Memorial Day.  Work told me I should count my hours weekly: the payroll system actually counts weeks as starting on the first of the month (and the eighth (eight-ththththth), sixteenth, and 23rd.  Notice the extra floating days on the end of every other week there).  Thus, when I didn't work on Memorial Day (not just any day in May) and instead made that shit up on Saturday, June 5th, the system lost its shit.  "You w0rked t00 many h0urs.  They sh0uld be 0vertime.  Why are y0u w0rking 0vertime? Y0u sh0uld w0rk 40 h0urs a week.  Dude." Then I tried to explain it to people.

Apparently people believing that the system is right and that I worked overtime (I didn't) even though I didn't (goddammit) makes me lose my shit.  After losing my shit at payroll cruncher A, fellow non-exempt person B, and payroll head C, I decided it was time to call calming fiancée J.  J got me to speak like a rational human being again, and C fixed everything by just letting me lie and say I worked overtime and then overriding that shit like a badass.

So yeah, me 1: payroll system 0.  Take that, time tracker.

No comments:

Post a Comment